Welcome to U.S. Citizenship Exam Prep!

These tutorials aim to teach the topics covered in the U.S. Citizenship exam in a fun and simple way. For official documents, please consult the Official U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website. They have the most up to date information as well as other useful resources.

Paths to American Citizenship

Green card holder of at least 5 years:

Green card holders married to U.S. citizens:

Green card holders in the military and their family:

Qualifying military service is generally in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and certain components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve. The general requirements for naturalization may be diminished or waived for qualifying service member.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 added Section 319(e) to the INA which allows certain eligible spouses of service members to naturalize abroad without traveling to the United States for any part of the naturalization process and also treats qualifying residence abroad as residence and physical presence in the U.S. for purposes of naturalization.

In general, to be eligible for naturalization abroad pursuant to section 319(e) of the INA, the permanent resident spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces must:

Under section 322 of the INA, a parent who is a U.S. citizen (or, if the citizen parent has died during the preceding 5 years, a citizen grandparent or citizen legal guardian) may apply for naturalization on behalf of a child born outside of the United States who has not acquired citizenship automatically under section 320 of the INA.

The general conditions are that: